Accessing Your Records

Can I see my healthcare records?

Yes. You have the right to receive a copy of information we hold about you. This includes paper records and those held on computer.  This is known as a ‘Subject Access’ request.

You may authorise a third party to seek access on your behalf e.g. Solicitor, but we will need your written consent.

Where a patient is incapable of managing his or her own affairs, a person appointed by the court to manage those affairs may seek access.

Children over 16 and those under 16 who are capable of understanding the significance of their records’ disclosure must give their own consent to access.  This judgment must be made by the healthcare professional in charge of the child’s care. Otherwise, authority must be given by an individual who has parental responsibility under the Children Act 1989.

The Data Protection Act 1998 does not cover the records of deceased patients.  Statutory rights of access to these are contained within the Access to Health Records Act 1990.  Any person with a claim arising from the death of a patient has a right of access to information directly relevant to that claim.


  • If you wish to view or have copies of hospital records you will need to contact the Medical Records Department at the appropriate hospital.
  • If you wish to view or have copies of your GP medical records please contact the Practice Manager at your GP Practice.


How do I make a Subject Access Request?

To access a copy of your health records, please complete this subject access request, application form giving as much detail as possible on the record(s) you wish to access and send to the following address:

Information Governance Department

2nd Floor, Parkway 3, Parkway Business Centre, Princess Road, Manchester, M14 7LU



How long will it take?

We are obliged to comply with our obligations promptly and within 40 days following the date your request is received. If clarification of your request is needed, the 40 day period does not start until that is received.


Can I be refused access to my health records?

You can be refused access to your records or part of them:

  • if your doctor thinks you or someone else could be harmed as a result
  • the information relates to, or was provided by, a third party (that is someone other than yourself or a clinician) and they have not given their permission for their comments to be divulged to you.

You are entitled to receive some or all of your information but please note a charge of up to £50 may be made.

Should you be unhappy with the outcome of your request, you should in the first instance contact the named individual at Manchester Health and Care Commissioning who responded to your request.

You are also free to contact the Information Commissioner directly in the event you remain dissatisfied:

Information Commissioners Office

Wycliffe House,

Water Lane